Sunday 29 December 2013

Reflections on 2013

I look back at 2013 and their are many things I think about, what were the big moments and how I will remember them? Usually I say to some of my friends that I will remember it as the three U's. University was the first U; the finals, the celebrations, and some deep thinking after you have finished about what lies ahead, and the fact that up until then you believed that University would define who you are. What I found out was that it certainly hasn't, perhaps for some, but not for me. Certainly it is always a massive achievement to complete your degree and at times it does feel slightly surreal that I received it on that sweltering day back in July.


University is finished for now!
The second U was the United States, the unique opportunity to do a road trip across the world's most iconic and famous country with three of your best mates from school. I salute Rupert, Charlie and Ollie for putting up with my atypical clumsiness and thank them for an unforgettable seven weeks, their alter-egos Sven, Lee-Ki-Wang, and Glen in Vegas should also be thanked. Hopefully we all get the chance to go again in the future, because it is (despite my doubts surrounding the U.S government and their conduct in foreign policy and health care system) quite the treat. Those weeks in California and that college party in North Carolina will not be forgotten nor the kind and epic people we met along the way be it Alan, Jessie J the redneck, David and Christine and David Roe in San Jose and naturally all the people at the college party! So many things to harp on about about the trip but I have already written it.



"This is Papa Dragon. I want this mission high and tight. I wanna be home for dinner."
Thanks boys!

The third and most emphatic U is Uganda and though I never had a chance to finish those couple of weeks in Uganda, it will be etched upon mind for years to come. What an experience and what a new challenge, a lesson well-learnt that being outside your comfort zone, pushing yourself to do new things, meet new people and teach in a remarkably different country is ultimately the most rewarding experience of life. Volunteer Uganda have really left a great impression on me, and I'd like to thank them for everything they have done and are doing. I will really miss Kanungu, the lodge, KPPS and most importantly all the volunteers, team-leaders, lodge staff, VU drivers, school staff, and many others who I had the privilege to meet in a great six weeks away from home. Webele Munonga!

Some highlights:



  •  The biblical football match in the thunderstorm. 6-4 drama, a still-healing knee to remember it by, stones, mud, swimming pool like puddles, the funniest game to watch probably, face paint. What a game. One of many good games.
  • Binyoni: Canoeing, swimming, late nights, nice break away from teaching. It is a shame we didn't go more. Apart from the three hour wait for lunch, the scorching weather and camping made up for it.
  • The opportunity to teach at Kirima Parents Primary School, have a class of forty-five wonderful kids, and awesome teachers like Ambrose and Dennis to work with! Thank you Devon, Nikki and Clare for helping me settle in so quickly!
  • Safari, the animals, losing to Aaron in an eat-off at the buffet, expensive wal.... I mean chimp trekking with Kerry and Stuart, and snoozing on top of the VU vans surrounded by wildlife, and the memories of the group mocking me for my appreciation of bird-watching! Sorry for my attempts at David Attenborough.
  • Bungee jumping killed my fear of heights
  • The VU vans and Apollo's mad driving skills
  • Transporting a machete successfully home without being stopped by authorities!
  • Thanks for the 22nd in Kampala. Kampala 1 Matt 0. What a great day and sad one leaving you all :(
  • Lodge, chats around the fire-place, the banda, breakfasts and all the sleep-talking by Oliver.
  • Kerry, Stuart, Joseph, Cerys, Harrigan, Joanne, Nikki, Robyn, Devon, Georgia, Diesel, Cat, Gillian, Benedict, Maz, Jake, Frances, Aaron, Connie, Claire, Ollie and Clare. Thank you, I look forward to keeping in touch and it was great seeing some of you at the VU Christmas Party! 
Thank you Volunteer Uganda! Best bunch of muzungus and individual bzungus!
These were but a few highlights of many, and I will carry these memories for a very long time. The three U's have offered different challenges throughout 2013 be it the painstaking dissertation, deadlines, and exams to taking a leap at the River Nile, and teaching a class. But almost every person this year I have met has helped me throughout and for that I'd like to thank each and every one of you. It has been a pretty epic year, and it has been rounded off as perfectly planned with a chilled out Christmas with family in Edinburgh, perfect home comforts.  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I prefer this one though! 


Matt Williams

Countries and Cities on the check list so far for Gap Year 2013-2014


England (Nottingham, Cambridge, London, Canterbury) Don't think these really count.....
Scotland (Edinburgh and Stornoway)
U.S.A (San Francisco, Yosemite, Mammoth Lakes, San Jose, Monterrey, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, San Diego, Williams, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Dallas, Austin, Galveston, New Orleans, Atalanta, North Carolina, Washington D.C, Philadelphia, New York)
Uganda (Kampala, Entebbe, and Kanungu)
Austria (Lech)
Switzerland (Zurich)

South Africa, Asia, Dublin, Sweden........2014??? Who knows ;)

New Year's Resolutions



  • Standard hitting of the gym and exercise, Christmas and travel have left me in shabbiness.
  • Raise £2000 for Inspiring Futures on a cycle to somewhere in Europe hopefully. Can't to start raising money!
  • Get to South Africa and Asia some way or somehow!
  • Not being conned into taking those 'Vitamin Tablets' again.

















No comments:

Post a Comment